Saturday, January 10, 2009

Rebeccas

Okay, I just want to go on the record here. Because Rick gets snarky about this.

When we were picking names for our first child, Rick was very adamant that if the baby was a girl, he wanted to name her Becky--well Rebecca. He has always liked that name. Well, my experience with people named Becky were slim. And what we name our kids is always based on who we know with that same name.

I knew a Becky in high school. She was a year or two ahead of me. She wasn't anyone who I would have picked to hang with. I wasn't crazy about her personality. But she was okay.

And while I was pregnant with my Becky-to-be, I was working at Northern Lights Library. And so was Rebecca Thomas. I really liked Becki (I think that's how she spelled it then...) Becki was (well, is really for all this stuff) sweet and kind and patient. She really knew the library. She was a good teacher. She was funny and a good listener. And I really liked her. So I now had all these great things to associate with the name Rebecca.

And at one point, way back before I ever even knew Rick, Rick and Becki went on a date or two. No hard feelings between them, it just didn't gel.

Okay, so who isn't going to tease the both of them when Rick tells me that he wants to name our baby girl Rebecca? That's like putting out a porterhouse steak on a plate and telling a dog--"don't touch!" I don't think so!

So being the Snarky Queen that I am, I tease them both to this day that my Rebecca is named after Becki Thomas. Okay, maybe she isn't named that because Rick and Becki dated one or two times. But for me, when I think of my Rebecca and who I would like her to be like, I think of the wonderful woman I worked with at Northern Lights. I certainly didn't date her. But if my Becky turns out half as kind and wonderful as Becki Thomas, then I really like thinking that my Becky is kind of named for Becki.

So it's on the record now. No, maybe Becky isn't named after Becki Thomas because of Rick's dating history. But I agreed to name our first girl Rebecca because I knew a Becki that gave a lot of class to that name. And that's what makes Becky, Becki's namesake.

So :-P~~~~ to Rick and Becki for whining when I say Becky is named for Becki!

3 comments:

Jim Brochowski said...

Agreed. :-)~~~~

My high school girlfriend and I broke up because among other things I was dating a girl named Kristin. (Yeah, I was a snake like that.) Imagine my surprise when I saw said girlfriend again at one of our reunions and found out she had named her daughter Kristen!

Funny how this stuff works eh?

BTW, I like your story a lot better.

Cat Herself said...

Have you seen this blog about hunting the snark?

Rob said...

This must be much more common than I'd have imagined.

When my wife & I were first trying to conceive and then later as we went through the adoption process, I was really set on the name "Sarah." Dede liked the name in concept, but couldn't get behind actually using it because we had both worked with a "Sarah" who had been just terrible and made everyone's lives a nightmare for a couple of years until we finally found a way to see her out the door.

In the end, we adopted a little boy, but I'm still firmly attached to the name "Sarah Rose" ("Rose" being my Mom's middle name) and would gravitate right back to that if we were to find that we were having a daughter.