Checking out CML's Tool Box of cool tools this time around. I went to TechCrunch just to see what it was. I'm not really sure what I was expecting to find here. I was thinking, well, more technical kinds of sites dealing with more technology related topics. That's not what I got! I'm thinking it should have been called "Cool Tools" or "New Stuff" or something that didn't make it sound so "techie".
TechCrunch just introduces a bunch of cool new stuff that people can do on the web--or even with their iPhone. Tools covered ranged from sushi guides for the iPhone to BookSprouts, an online book discussion site. Users can comment on the topics posted so you can often get other suggestions on the same topic.
I especially like BookSprouts. What a cool tool to promote book discussions! Groups can be open to anyone or by invite only. I noticed a bunch of libraries that had started groups. Wouldn't this be a lovely way to incorporate our Outreach customers into some library programming? Even though the customers might be homebound they could still connect with other customers and staff in a very positive way. This site could be used with our new focus on Readers' Advisory services. It's another way to get customers and staff talking about the books. Even if we don't use this particular site, CML should look into adding some sort of online book discussion presence that involves CML staff. Simply listing online book clubs in our Great Reads section of the website isn't enough. The new Readers' Advisory push is all about the conversation we are having with our customers about our books. Shouldn't we be trying to converse as many ways as possible? So many of our users are expecting a way to converse online. Let's go meet them there.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Thing 19: CML's Tool Box
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment