Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Thing 23: Wrap-Up

Whoo Hoo! I finished the 23 Things by the ultimate deadline!!!!

By now you know I don't always write in the most linear fashion. So this will be rather free-flowing. But I will at least keep the ideas separate.

1. I loved doing this exercise. It was fun learning about new tools. I now have a much better grasp of all these new techie things that just made my brain hurt before. The format for learning fit my learning style well--it combined written materials and "live action" and audio formats. I got to work at my own pace. Management embraced letting everyone do this. What's not to love?

2. I would be interested in finding out the completion rate for part-timers. I would also be curious to see if they were able to complete in time for the prize drawings. While I was part-time, it was rather difficult finding the time to do the exercises. Had I remained part-time I would have never finished by the end of the year. There just aren't enough hours in a part-timer's schedule to get everything done. On the one hand, you don't want the exercises to drag on forever, but I'm not sure that the original time table was long enough. There needs to be a balance in there somewhere.

3. I know that participating was optional. Admin might want to consider making participation a requirement. Because working through the Things with a bunch of other people is such an integral part, I'm not sure how to make this required for those who didn't participate and/or new hires. But I'm sure someone out there will figure that out.

4. Some Things can be cut. Playing in the CML wiki sandbox was fun, but really just more of the Thing before that. Didn't think this extra thing was needed.

5. Add a Thing (or maybe more)--even if it is part of an on-going learning with Learn & Play. Include something like Facebook. Facebook can incorporate some of the other Things we learned all in one place. And it seemed weird that we didn't have some sort of social site like that.

6. Is anyone reading all these posts? I mean really reading? There are some great ideas posted in all these staff blogs about ways to utilize Web 2.0 tools within the library. Wouldn't it be great if all those helpful suggestions and comments were passed on to the powers that be?

7. One of the best things about doing all the Things has been the chance to connect with people. I'm not shy about asking for help. And I have been helped very graciously by everyone I have asked. The Things have created a great sense of camaraderie among the staff. Staff across the system have come together to complete all the Things. I have re-connected with friends that I hadn't spoken to for ages. I have discovered that I really kind of like Facebook and Twitter. I didn't think I would. But it has been great following some old friends. And I even reconnected with a friend I hadn't seen since high school. What's not to love about that?

8. I would do this (or something like it) again in a flash. This has been one of the best learning experiences I have had here at CML. And that's saying something considering I've been with CML for 27+ years!

9. Support from above (and I mean management and admin--not God) has really helped make this a success. It was quite clear from the get-go that management wanted us to succeed with this project. Any time I mentioned needing some time to work on the Things, my managers helped make it happen. And I have heard from other staff members that they experienced similar support. This needs to carry over with any future projects. Don't just assign us some new project--give us the training and support like this project had to carry it out.

10. A big THANKS to everyone that made this a success. From admin to the L&P team to my coworkers who helped me to the Friends who provided prizes. And anyone else that I'm forgetting. I appreciate all the work that everyone did on all aspects of Learn & Play. Thanks for going out of your comfort zone. Thanks for answering my questions. Thanks for helping us grow.

1 comment:

Jim Brochowski said...

You Rock! I'm really proud of you.

You had fun, and you have some of the most constructive posts I've read.

I really really like so many of your ideas, especially in this last post.
Let's hope the library takes this to the next levely.

Congrats!