Now that I know how to add feeds to my Bloglines account (which I really don't like, BTW) now I'm supposed to find feeds to add. I checked out the different search tools and I have to say I'm really not a fan. Topix.net I found irritating. Actually I found all three search tools irritating for one reason or another. I think it had more to do with how I use feeds. Maybe. Or it's just that these are irritating search tools.
Why do people use a feed? They have a site that they like and they want to look at it again to check for updates. Rather than going to a bunch of sites daily, RSS feeds allow us to just go to one site (like my lovely Google Reader) and see what has been updated since I was last there. People will tend to look for sites that fulfill their needs and THEN check to see if there is an RSS feed they can utilize. I'm not going to go trolling for just feeds. I want to find a good site first.
I didn't think any of the feed search tools were user friendly. They seemed clunky or visually cluttered or just down-right irritating. I wanted to shout at Topix that I wanted more than just Columsus sites. Whatever happened with starting broad results and narrowing from there. Yes, I saw ways to change up the searching, but it wasn't very user-friendly. Maybe it was operator error and I just need someone to show me how to use it correctly. But from looking at other blogs, I don't think it's juat me.
Surely there are other search tools out there. (Quit calling me "Shirley"...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It wasn't operator error. One of the biggest gripes about RSS feeds is that they are not prominent on pages, and the aggregators, (sp) don't do a good job in organizing their collection(s).
I like that Google Reader tries to make suggestions tailored to the feeds I am already using.
I don't like all the garbage Bloglines gives the user to sift through.
Amazing that we agree yet again I know. ;-)
Dude! Thanks for cheering me on. I get frustrated at times and it's nice having someone say "you can do it!" I'll get you some pom poms...
Post a Comment